"There's a Time and a Place"
Here are some of my favorite quotes from Donalyn Miller in chapter 3.
* "If I don't make time for them to read in school, why should they make time for it in their life?"
* "Time spent reading feeds more reading. The more my students read, and grow into a community of readers, the more they want to read."
* "No single literacy activity have a more positive effect on students' comprehension, vocabulary knowledge, spelling, writing ability, and overall academic achievement than free voluntary reading."
* "Because reading has more impact on students' achievement than any other activity in school, setting time for reading must be the first activity we teachers write in our lesson plans, not the last. It is said that we make time for what we value, and if we value reading, we must make time for it."
* "No exercise gives more instructional bang for the buck than reading."
* "The more time students spend reading each day, the more ingrained it becomes as a daily habit."
* "It is important to encourage young readers when they explore options for reading anywhere they can."
To summarize this chapter..... students need to read, read, READ, READ, READ, and READ some more!!