Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Book Whisperer Student Surveys

On my campus, the students go to the library during my conference time, so I am not with them to help/guide them in choosing books.  The librarian sets the guidelines for what books can be checked out.  The younger students are only allowed to check out 1-2 books, so I usually go check out a bunch of books to keep in the classroom for them to read as well.  Most of the time I pick out books based on what we are studying in Science or Social Studies. 

But...I've never done a student survey.  I've never taken the time to really dig deep and see what my students are interested in....for the purpose of guiding them toward books anyway.  That sounds really bad when I think about it!    That will change this school year.  I will have my students complete a survey so I can do a better job of encouraging the kids to read. 

"Their needs as readers, as people, call to me from the pages of those surveys, and I whisper back with books".  Donalyn Miller (page 46)

Check out Primary Inspired to see a survey geared toward the younger kiddos.




Find another survey @ Primary Graffiti.

Primary Graffiti

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I've never really done a survey either, unless you call asking what kind of books they want me to buy and then never really getting around to buying the books, a survey. I am going to do this!
    PS--So happy you're back!

    2ndgradeponderings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your blog this morning. I, too, am reading The Book Whisperer. Inspired by chapter 2, I made a survey yesterday and posted it on my blog. Check it out: www.teacheristatales.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete